GIS - 15 November, 2013: Government is committed towards increasing the effective delivery of public services for a better Mauritius. Budget 2014 makes provision of various policies to build on the strengths of the democratic institutions while ensuring that timely services are provided to one and all in line with Government’s motto of “Putting People First”.
Civil Service Modernisation Programme
· Setting up of new Strategic Policy Unit under the Prime Minister’s Office;
· Putting in place of a new programme to upgrade skills through the Civil Service College;
· Extensive use of latest technology for the delivery of public services; and
· Setting up of a new Public Sector Reengineering Bureau.
· Provision of Rs 50 million for the Implementation of a new Service Performance Related Incentive Scheme;
· Setting up of an independent Board of Inquiry to review matters raised in the report of the Director of audit;
· Setting up of statutory requirements for State-Owned Enterprises and Statutory Bodies to improve their accountability and performance management;
· Setting up of Project and Programme Implementation Units (PPIU) in key Ministries; and
· Reviewing of the Investment Project Process Manual to streamline screening process of public sector projects.
Regarding Citizen Facilitation, efforts will be geared towards offering modern facilities that will eventually help citizens to obtain better counter services. A series of measures has been enunciated in budget 2014 namely:
· A provision of Rs 200 million for the reengineering exercise in departments providing direct services to the public;
· Setting up of citizens inter-active kiosks in Post offices;
· Amendment in the Road Traffic Act;
· Reducing delivery time for Certificate of Character from 2 months to two weeks;
· Streamlining of work permits delivery process by online application and payment; and
· Issuing of a unique Parcel Identification Number to facilitate real estate transactions through Mauritius e-Registry Project.
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://gis.gov.mu