GIS - 15 November, 2013: The 2014 budget underlines Government’s commitment to combat criminality, enhance security and keep the public safe. Provision is being made for investment in terms of sophisticated and state-of-the-art equipment and recruitment to ensure that the Police Force is properly resourced. Total provision for the Police amounts to Rs 8.7 billion.
Key measures include:
· recruitment of an additional 700 trainee police constables in 2014;
· implementation of the Crime Occurrence Tracking System for all police stations in Mauritius and Rodrigues;
· installation of CCTV Street Surveillance system for Beau-Bassin, Rose Hill and Quatre Bornes, including Sodnac;
· acquisition of a state-of-the-art Mass Spectrometer for the Forensic Science Laboratory to improve analysis of synthetic drugs; and
· provision of funds for an open prison facility for female detainees adjacent to the present Barkly Women Prison at Beau Bassin.
A sum of Rs 750 million has been earmarked for a renovation programme of existing district courthouses and construction of new ones. The Supreme Court and New Court House in Port Louis will also be renovated.
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: email@example.com Website: http://gis.gov.mu