Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Home>News>Deputy Prime Minister calls for judicious use of water in Mauritius

News

Average Rating

Related News

Deputy Prime Minister calls for judicious use of water in Mauritius

Date: October 15, 2014
Domain:Public Utilities
Persona: Citizen; Government
 

GIS - 15 October 2014: The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Energy and Public Utilities, Dr Rashid Beebeejaun, said that water reserves in Mauritius are diminishing and called upon the population to make judicious use of water. Fifty per cent of water in Mauritius is obtained from boreholes, 30% from reservoirs and 20% from rivers.

During a press statement made yesterday in Port Louis, Dr Beebeejaun announced that, on the occasion of Diwali festival celebrations, the Central Water Authority (CWA) will increase the hours of water supply where possible by one hour daily to the consumers as from this weekend. He recalled that mostly 70% of the population receive water on a 24-hour basis while the remaining 30% get water at specific hours.
Figures from the Water Resources Unit on the prevailing situation in Mauritius show that  the water level at Mare aux Vacoas as at 13 October 2014 is 69,1%; La Nicolière 50,4%; Piton du Milieu 68,6%; La Ferme 39%; Mare Longue 56,4%; and Midlands 67,4%.
As regards ground water, there are signs that storage has gradually started to deplete. The yield at Holyrood borehole and Pierrefonds tunnel has registered a decrease of 40% and 49% respectively. The CWA is closely monitoring the water levels in the boreholes island-wide and should there be marked decrease, the yield of the borehole will be reduced accordingly.
The Meteorological Services outlined that during the month of September, the mean rainfall over Mauritius from 1st to 30 September 2014 was 54 mm while the long term mean (1971-2000) for the month was 81 mm, representing 67% of long term mean for September 2014. 
 
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: gis@mail.gov.mu.mu Website:http://gis.gov.mu
(0) Comment(s)