Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Home>News>Energy and Water Statistics 2014

News

Average Rating

Related News

Energy and Water Statistics 2014

Date: August 12, 2015
Domain:Public Utilities
Persona: Business; Citizen; Government; Non-Citizen
 

GIS - 12 August, 2015: Statistics Mauritius has released the latest figures on Energy and Water for the year 2014. The total primary energy requirement increased by 2.5% as compared to 2013. As for water, the mean amount of rainfall recorded in Mauritius went down by 1.5% from 2,126 millimetres in 2013 to 2,094 millimetres in 2014.
 
The statistics have been compiled in close collaboration with the Central Electricity Board, the Central Water Authority, the Water Resources Unit, the petroleum companies, the Independent Power Producers and the Mauritius Meteorological Services.
 
      Energy
 
     In 2014, around 86% of the total primary energy requirement was met from imported fossil fuels (petroleum products, 55% and coal, 31%) against 85% in the preceding year. The share of the different fossil fuels within the total primary energy requirement in 2014 was as follows: coal (30.9%), fuel oil (17.1%), diesel oil (13.9%), gasolene (10.2%), aviation fuel (8.5%), Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) - (5.1%) and kerosene (0.1%).
 
     Energy supply from petroleum products increased by 3% in 2014. It comprised fuel oil (31%), diesel oil (25%), gasolene (19%), dual purpose kerosene (16%) and LPG (9%). The supply of coal increased by 4.3% in 2014.
 
Imported fuels comprising petroleum products (55%) and coal (31%) made up 86% of the total primary energy requirement in 2014. The remaining 14% consisted of locally available sources namely bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuelwood.
 
The two main energy-consuming sectors were “Transport” and “Manufacturing”, accounting respectively for 50.9% and 23.6% of the final energy consumed. They were followed by the household sector (14.2%), commercial and distributive trade (10.4%) and agriculture (0.5%).
 
The report further highlights that in 2014, electricity generation went up by 1.8% from 2,885 GWh in 2013 to 2,937 GWh, of which 80% was generated from non-renewable sources and 20% from renewable sources. The Independent Power Producers produced around 60% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 40%. During the same period, sales of electricity increased by 2.9% from 2,384 GWh to 2,452 GWh and the average sales price remained at around Rs 6 per kWh.
 
Water
 
Statistics Mauritius revealed that the total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 5.5% from 217 in 2013 to 229 Mm3 in 2014. Only 10% (390 Mm3) of the precipitation went as ground water recharge, while evapotranspiration and surface runoff accounted for 30% (1,172 Mm3) and 60% (2,343 Mm3) respectively.
 
The wettest month in 2014 was January while September was the driest month. Figures indicate that the mean percentage of water level for all reservoirs excluding Midlands Dam varied from 48% to 91% in 2014. The total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants increased by 5.5% from 217 Mm3 in 2013 to 229 Mm3 in 2014.
 
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: gis@govmu.org  Website:http://gis.govmu.org
(0) Comment(s)