GIS – September 9, 2015: A UNDP multidisciplinary international team will be, from 21 September to 2 October 2015, in Mauritius in the context of the elaboration of Government’s Marshall Plan to combat poverty and social exclusion.
It is recalled that the Mauritian Government had announced in January 2015 a medium to long term Marshall Plan to combat poverty and social exclusion in Mauritius and Rodrigues. The Ministry of Social Integration and Economic Empowerment is leading the preparation of the Marshall plan, while the UNDP is providing technical assistance for its development.
To that end, the services of a national consultant have been enlisted by the UNDP to support the overall coordination of the preparation of the plan, including organising national consultations, supporting the multidisciplinary team and the setting up of the implementation plan.
The team of experts will undertake an in-depth analysis of the present development situation of the socioeconomic landscape of Mauritius for a multidisciplinary evaluation of poverty.
The experts will carry out an evaluation of the efficiency of ongoing programmes on poverty alleviation and social protection, and review existing policies and framework programme of initiatives for the reduction of poverty and make propositions for a sustainable approach. Moreover, they will investigate on the causes of poverty and make recommendations for the elaboration of a series of strategies aiming at reducing poverty with an accentuated focus towards individuals and households self-sufficiency.
The Marshall Plan will, inter alia, cover the following areas:
- Social protection
- Social Housing
- Social Inclusion and community development
- Access to education, and development of competencies
- Employment and sustainable livelihood/Economic opportunities for the most vulnerable groups, including people with disabilities
- Women empowerment and feminisation of poverty
- Youth economic empowerment
- Access to services, including, electricity, water, sanitation, transportation, ICT facilities
- Environmental protection and its relation with social integration.
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website:http://gis.govmu.org