GIS – November 15, 2013: The 2013 edition of Infotech, a major and annual event on the ICT calendar, will kick-start on 21 November 2013 at the Swami Vivekananda International Convention Centre, in Pailles. During a press conference held yesterday in Port Louis, the Minister of Information and Communication Technology, Mr Tassarajen Pillay Chedumbrum, elaborated on this 20th edition.
The Minister observed that Infotech offers a privileged platform to showcase each year the constant developments happening in the ICT sector. ICT, he said, cuts across all sectors and new technologies should be made available to the local public so that they feel at par with major powers globally.
Infotech 2013 will bring together 43 exhibitors who will showcase their technology and ICT products and services.
The 88 stands booked are expected to attract over 100,000 visitors during the four-day event. Entrance is free of charge.
Infotech 2013 will include the following components:
- ICT Exhibition;
- ICT Job Fair to support the recruitment process of local companies from the ICT-BPO sector;
- SME Corner to sensitise the public and SMEs on the benefits of adopting ICT applications, including open source;
- Green IT practices whereby four British companies will showcase innovative products such as Low energy/low carbon PCs, Liquid Cooled Servers and Wireless Energy Management Systems;
- Smart Home Corner to showcase ‘intelligent’ home products and appliance;
- Career Guidance Corner to sensitise secondary school students, school leavers and job seekers on career opportunities and prospects in the ICT-BPO sector;
- Shopping and Delivery Zone;
- Gaming Zone - a modern technology-driven entertainment platform for young people as well as adults; and,
- Conferences and live Product Demos.
Organised by the National Computer Board, Infotech aims at creating awareness on emerging technologies and facilitating commercial exchanges in the ICT sector. It also has as objectives to promote local talents, expertise and know-how in the ICT sector; and offer a meeting platform for local ICT operators to develop collaboration and deal with potential technology partners and customers. The first edition of Infotech was organised in November 1990.
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://gis.gov.mu