GIS – November 20, 2014: The 2014 edition of Infotech, a major annual event on the ICT calendar, will kick-start on Thursday 27 November 2014 at the Swami Vivekananda International Convention Centre, in Pailles. During a press conference today in Port Louis, the Minister of Information and Communication Technology, Mr Tassarajen Pillay Chedumbrum, elaborated on this 21st edition.
The Minister said that Infotech offers an adequate platform to showcase new products available on the market every year as well as the latest developments in the ICT sector. The ICT sector is very dynamic and several measures have been taken over the years to make it resilient to challenges, he pointed out. The Minister also highlighted that no stone is being left unturned in a bid to making Mauritius an information-based society, adding that innovation is important in achieving this goal.
Infotech 2014 will bring together 32 exhibitors who will showcase their technology and ICT products and services.
The 61 stands booked are expected to attract over 100,000 visitors during the four-day event. Entrance is free of charge.
Infotech 2014 will include the following components:
- ICT Exhibition;
- ICT Career Guidance Corner to sensitise secondary school students, school leavers, parents and the public in general on career opportunities and prospects in the ICT-BPO sector. The Career Guidance Corner will consist of two sections namely a Presentation Section and a Counselling Section;
- Cybersecurity conference to mark Computer Security Day 2014;
- Smart Home Corner to showcase ‘intelligent’ home products and appliances;
- Technopreneurship Corner, a dedicated space to allow technopreneurs increase their visibility by promoting their products/service. The aim is to promote entrepreneurship in the ICT sector.
- Gaming Zone - a modern technology-driven entertainment platform for young people as well as adults.
The Exhibition will be opened to the public as follows:
- Thursday 27 November 2014, 10.00 hrs to 19.00 hrs
- Friday 28 November 2014, 10.00 hrs to 19.00 hrs
- Saturday 29 November 2014, 10.00 hrs to 20.00 hrs
- Sunday 30 November 2014, 10.00 hrs to 19.00 hrs
Free bus shuttles from and to Victoria/Immigration Station, Port Louis and Place Margeot Bus Station, Rose Hill as from 09:30 hrs.
Organised by the National Computer Board, Infotech aims at creating awareness on emerging technologies and providing business opportunities in the ICT sector. It also has as objectives to create awareness and encourage adoption of ICT tools for individuals and businesses, in line with the vision of Government to make Mauritius a ‘Smart Island’. The first edition of Infotech was organised in November 1990.