GIS – November 21, 2013: Information and communication technology has democratised access to information and has drastically changed the way one carries out business, communicate, study, and spend leisure time, the Minister of Information and Communication Technology, Mr Tassarajen Pillay Chedumbrum, said at the opening of the 20th edition of Infotech last night at the Swami Vivekananda International Convention Centre, in Pailles.
According to the Minister, the ICT sector is one of the most dynamic sectors in terms of developing new products and solutions, opening up new avenues, creating new business opportunities as well as new jobs. As a sector with full-powered energy and enormous potential, ICT development in Mauritius will largely contribute to increasing national wealth, he added. Mr Pillay Chedumbrum also referred to the project of a cross-connection of the LION and SEAS fibre optic cable systems between Mauritius and Seychelles and expressed belief that Mauritius is on the right track to become the ICT hub of the region.
Organised by the National Computer Board, Infotech is a major annual event on the ICT calendar. The aim is to create awareness on emerging technologies and facilitate commercial exchanges in the ICT sector. Infotech also has as objectives to promote local talents, expertise and know-how in the ICT sector; and offer a meeting platform for local ICT operators to develop collaboration and deal with potential technology partners and customers.
The 2013 edition, extending over four days, brings together 43 exhibitors to showcase their technology and ICT products and services. The 88 stands booked are expected to attract over 100,000 visitors during the four-day event. Entrance is free of charge.
Infotech 2013 includes the following components:
- ICT Exhibition;
- ICT Job Fair to support the recruitment process of local companies from the ICT-BPO sector;
- SME Corner to sensitise the public and SMEs on the benefits of adopting ICT applications, including open source;
- Green IT practices whereby four British companies will showcase innovative products such as Low energy/low carbon PCs, Liquid Cooled Servers and Wireless Energy Management Systems;
- Smart Home Corner to showcase ‘intelligent’ home products and appliance;
- Career Guidance Corner to sensitise secondary school students, school leavers and job seekers on career opportunities and prospects in the ICT-BPO sector;
- Shopping and Delivery Zone;
- Gaming Zone - a modern technology-driven entertainment platform for young people as well as adults; and,
- Conferences and live Product Demos.
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: email@example.com Website: http://gis.gov.mu