GIS - 19 December, 2018: The key achievements for the year 2018 in the Business, Enterprise and Cooperatives sectors were outlined by the Minister of Business, Enterprise and Cooperatives, Mr Soomilduth Bholah, yesterday during a press conference in Port Louis.
Government, Mr Bholah emphasised, is committed to provide additional measures so as to make the Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) sector a key pillar in the socioeconomic development of Mauritius by focusing on three main axes which are reform, capacity-building and visibility.
Referring to the achievements, the Minister underlined that the SME Act is an important milestone that was implemented on 18 January 2018 and underscored that the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Authority (SMEDA) Act was repealed to be replaced by the SME Act which allowed the setting up of SME Mauritius Ltd.
Key achievements include:
· Setting up of an SME Registration Unit since 18 January 2018 to register Micro, Small and Medium enterprises as well as to provide support and information to facilitate the acquisition of any registration, permit, license, authorisation or clearance which an enterprise may require. Up to 7 December 2018, 1 528 certificates were issued by this Unit.
· Signing of Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) including: the MoU between Mauritius and China to provide entrepreneurs with training and workshops; and, the MoU between SME Mauritius and the Institut de la Francophonie pour l’Entrepreneuriat to promote entrepreneurship among the youth and build a better environment for the creation of startups.
· Promotion of various schemes, namely: the SME Employment Scheme through which some 450 graduates have been placed in the SME Sector with a monthly allocation of Rs 14,000; SME productivity Improvement Program and Foreign Expertise and Technical Assistance Scheme launched on 13 December 2018; the SME Development Scheme Certificate that concerns seven main sectors including the blue economy, the manufacturing sector and agribusiness; and, Entrepreneurship Espresso that provides a platform for mentoring and networking to promote entrepreneurship among women and training programmes.
· Setting up of 72 new cooperatives societies for the period January 2018 till 05 December 2018.
· Renovation of the National Cooperatives College in Bois Marchand to the tune of Rs 18.5 million.
· Upgrading of the Maison des Pecheurs at Tamarin.
· Development of agricultural projects at St Pierre and Henrietta.
· Launching of the top 100 Cooperatives magazine to enhance the visibility and valorise the contribution of Cooperatives to the Mauritian economy.
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://gis.govmu.org