GIS – 08 April, 2020: Nineteen patients have, so far, recovered from the Covid-19 while 273 positive cases have been registered. Moreover, a new serum plasma therapy has started for patients in intensive care, announced the Prime Minister, Mr Pravind Kumar Jugnauth, this evening during the daily press briefing of the National Communication Committee on Covid-19, held at the Treasury Building in Port Louis.
He added that Government is working on a plan to cautiously reopen the country so that economic activities resume but under strict sanitary measures. The decision on extending the curfew, depending of the situation, will be taken during the Cabinet Meeting, this Friday.
According to the Prime Minister, the World Health Organization had forecast a sharp increase of Covid-19 cases for Mauritius, with 215 cases during the first week, 477 cases in the second week, and 888 cases in the third week. However, he stressed, confinement measures implemented and the curfew order have borne positive results, as revealed by the three weeks of confinement, that is, 81 cases during the first week, 169 cases after a fortnight and 268 cases in third week.
He reassured the population that his priority remains the safeguard of public health and that necessary measures are being implemented to protect the population. He called on each and everyone to work in collaboration with the Government and to comply strictly with the confinement measures put in place.
Additional information communicated:
· Between 500-600 Covid-19 testing are being carried out daily
· 536 fines have been served to traders for price abuse. The possibility to suspend licences of unscrupulous traders is also being envisaged
· Small planters are now able to sell their produce to supermarkets under the Support Plan implemented by the Ministry of Finance, Economic Planning and Development
· Rs 30 billion has been earmarked to sustain the economy. A Recovery Plan is being developed by the Ministry of Finance, Economic Planning and Development in collaboration with several stakeholders
· 16 675 elderly persons have, since the beginning of this week, benefited from the seasonal influenza vaccination programme
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: email@example.com Website: http://gis.govmu.org Mobile App: Search Gov