GIS - 17 April 2015: The National Heritage Fund in collaboration with the Ministry of Arts and Culture, is organising a series of activities to mark the International Day for Monuments and Sites on 18 and 19 April 2015.
The International Day for Monuments and Sites which is celebrated every year on 18th April was initiated by ICOMOS in 1972 and ratified at the 22nd UNESCO General Conference in 1983. This special day offers an opportunity to raise public awareness concerning the diversity of the National and World’s Heritage and ef-forts that are required to protect and conserve it as well as to draw attention to its vulnerability.
Among the various activities that the National Heritage Fund in collaboration with the Ministry of Arts and Culture, is holding on 18 April 2015 at the Royal College, Curepipe, are the following events:
- A la découverte du patrimoine (Treasure Hunt) in collaboration with the Ministry of Youth and Sports at 09.00 hrs
- Photo exhibition on World Heritage Sites and Exhibition on Traditional Craftsmanship (Métiers d’Antan)
- Sega Tipik and Geet-Gawai Performance
In the same context the following Heritage Sites will be opened to the public free of charge on 18 and 19 April 2015 from 09.00hrs to 16.00 hrs:-
- Aapravasi Ghat World Heritage Site, Port Louis;
- Le Morne Cultural Landscape and International Slave Route Monument, Le Morne
- State House, Reduit;
- Government House, Port Louis;
- Natural History Museum, Port-Louis;
- National History Museum, Mahebourg;
- Robert Edward Hart Memorial Museum, Souillac;
- Sookdeo Bissoondoyal Memorial Museum, Tyack;
- Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Memorial Centre for Culture, Plaine-Verte;
- Frederik Hendrik Museum, Vieux Grand-Port;
- Martello Tower, La Preneuse;
- Postal Museum, Port Louis; (Free access to Mauritians only)
- La Citadelle, Port Louis;
- Domaine des Aubineaux, Forest Side;omaine des Aubineaux, Forest Side;
- Bras d’Eau National Park; Bras d’Eau;
- Dodo Club, Curepipe;
- Maison Saint Aubin, Saint Aubin; and
- SSR Botanical Garden, Pamplemousses. (Free access to Mauritians only).
Guided Heritage Trails in Port Louis and at Le Morne are also being organised on the 18 and 19 April 2015.
Government Information Service, Prime Minister’s Office, Level 6, New Government Centre, Port Louis, Mauritius. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website:http://gis.govmu.org